Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Home Stretch

We officially are in the home stretch - less shots to take than are left (possibly only 7 more - we started with 41!). While at dinner last night Todd and I were in awe of how fast this process went - it feels like just yesterday when we had the injections class and I was terrified to give myself the first shot. And now, here we are, possibly ready to go for egg extract on SUNDAY 11/27!

Yesterday I had my first sonogram after the stimulants - they went in to count the number of follicles on each ovary and what the size of each follicle was. If you've never thought into detail about the female reproductive system - the follicle is the home where a single egg grows. like a little den. Each month a females body releases usually 1 egg (meaning 1 follicle really grows)  IVF and other infertility treatments try to get the body to mature multiple follicles (hence, multiple eggs for better chances of success). So at this sonogram appointment the nurse found  19 follicles that were bigger than 12mm which is good progress after 5 days of stimulant shots! Once the follicles are 16-20mm that indicates the eggs are "mature" and can be taken out. Being that many of mine are > 12mm and my estrogen level is near the top, we don't have too much longer to go really!

Now, just because there are 19 follicles does not mean there will be 19 happy healthy eggs that they retrieve. Sometimes there are more, sometimes there are less. Sometimes a follicle is empty. Sometimes an egg isn't fully mature. So I've still got my hopes on getting lucky number 9. We have another sonogram appointment on Friday morning where they will recheck the number and size - at that appointment they'll decide whether we're retrieving on Sunday or not. I hope we are - then I don't have to use a vacation day at work and I won't have any more shots in my belly!!

I haven't really had any terrible side effects that I was anticipating. I've read other blogs and listened to the nurse and was expecting intense pain, severe bloat, and battle wounds from the syringes. While I don't fit into my jeans (sadface), I don't feel terrible which is good. I haven't had hot flashes, I haven't had mood swings (anymore than usual). It's dangerous to do too much internet reading and research - that's when I get scared and nervous about long-term side effects of the medicine, or Over-Stimulation, or other terrible side effects. But USF is very closely monitoring everything so I'm not worried. I am 27 after all which is the perfect age still :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment